Saturday, February 26, 2011

going tribal

I'm a swooner over everything tribal these days -partly because I'm a sucker for any killah geometric pattern and the other half due to the fact my career has kind of took a 180..or at least the genre of product I'm marketing for. Instead of designing for the fabulous world of fashion, I've switched gears to the fabulous world of outfitting. Cabela's baby.

It has been quite a shake-up in design style, but it's all good. The people I work with are passionate about the outdoors, just in a different sense than I am. (You will not catch me killing anything. I'll stick to hiking/camping/eating marshmellers, thank you). The work environment is great. Calm, collective and cool. Where else will you have team-building days that consist of rope-climbing courses, zip-lining, followed up by a biker bar? Ok, the first half of the day will be dedicated to meetings--brainstorm meetings that include an air-gun and "Big Idea" suggestions such as Beard Trimming/Food Day. Like beards, I swear productivity is maintained.

So when my Sanuk-wearing, avid outdoorsman, boom-goes-the-dynamite designer in crime, Casey, pointed out how "bear" my office space looked, I drew a blank (ahh so many puns, not enough time). What was I going to do with these walls some-what confining my creativity? Although I threw around the idea of putting up my own "trophy shots" -like his, only with sharks and fake-like- I decided this wouldn't necessarily lead me down the path of genuine creative stimulation.

Tribal patterns it is! Just ordered all these screen printed linens today from greenolivetextiles on Etsy...

"This inspiration for this range is Out of Africa meets big game hunter on safari. The range is quite strong and graphic, the designs have a primitive, earthy feel. They will be printed in rich brown and black on sand and brown linen. Yep, 100% linen." - textile designer of green olive

A great contemporary twist on African textiles, they will fit in my space perfectly and I can't wait to adorn my grey walls with lively prints. They will make for a great backdrop for photos, drawings and other random findings. Like this Eddie Bauer lookbook. Hallo? Let's all go to Kilimanjaro!

Might even take to a bike and go tribal this route: http://www.hulu.com/watch/210889/portlandia-bike-rider :)

Hope your weekend's treating you well!

No comments:

Post a Comment